About Nancy Vaughan
Background and Experience
Nancy was born in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, and moved to Greensboro with her family in 1989. She attended Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut. For seventeen years, she was employed by Talley Machinery Company in Greensboro, as Operations Manager.
Her involvement as a volunteer in Greensboro causes and as a business professional led her to seek election to the City Council in 1997, representing District 4. After serving two terms on City Council, she temporarily retired from governmental service in 2001 to raise her daughter.
In 2007, Nancy Vaughan successfully ran for the first of three terms as an At-Large representative on the City Council, also serving as Mayor Pro-Tem from 2007-2011. She was elected Mayor in 2013 and again in 2015.
Nancy is the Executive Director of the Guilford Green Foundation.
Nancy has three children – Michael (Nicole), John, and Catherine, and has one grandchild. She is also Mom to Mia, a two-year black Labrador Retriever.
Nancy Vaughan and Her Family Celebrate Greensboro
A long-time Greensboro civic leader, Nancy is a tireless grassroots organizer dedicated to building stronger neighborhoods for the betterment of the community at large. The emphasis in both her private and public lives has always been on economic development and public safety.
Her most recent leadership positions include:
- Guilford County Economic Development Alliance
- Opportunity Greensboro
- Guilford County Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Greensboro Chamber of Commerce Board
- Community City Working Group
- 2016 Municipal Bond Committee
- Vice Chair, Housing Our Community
Prior leadership positions include:
- Piedmont Triad Airport Authority Board
- Greensboro Housing Development Partnership
- March of Dimes, Honorary Chair, 18th Annual Signature Chef’s Auction
- Greensboro Day School Board of Trustees
- Girl Scout Brownie Leader
- Greensboro Beautiful Board
- Domestic Violence Task Force Co-Chair
- Junior League of Greensboro
Recognitions & Awards
2014 Greensboro Realtors Association
2015 Equality North Carolina
Jamie Kirk Hahn Ally Award
2015 NC Recreation & Parks Association
2015 The Professional Fire Fighters of Greensboro
Friend of the Fire Fighter
2016 NC Housing Coalition
Public Official of the Year Award